The Ultimate Guide to Advanced RTMP Broadcasting Configurations
Welcome to “The Ultimate Guide to Advanced RTMP Broadcasting Configurations”! If you’re looking to take your live streaming to the next level and unlock the full potential of RTMP, you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, we’ll explore advanced techniques and strategies for configuring RTMP setups that can improve your broadcasts’ quality, reliability, and scalability on ViuLive.
From optimizing settings for specific use cases to leveraging the latest technology and best practices, we’ll cover everything you need to know to create a professional-grade RTMP broadcasting setup. So, whether you’re a seasoned broadcaster or just starting out, let’s dive into the world of advanced RTMP configurations!
Note: The default settings should work just fine for everyday users.
Recommended RTMP Setup For Live Streaming:
- Ethernet cable connection for maximum quality and stability when using a PC. (Direct Lan Connection)
- WIFI environment with 5G in closed space/distance
- WIFI environment with 2.4G in wider space/distance
- 4G LTE for an open area with Modem (For outdoor live streaming)
- 4G LTE for open areas with Mobile HotSpot2 (Stream quality may differ due to mobile phones having more signal noise).
Using these recommended setups will ensure a better and more stable connection. We would also recommend these settings for the following:
- 1080 FHD (full HD) resolution with high bitrate (2-5) Mbps
- 720 HD resolution with high bitrate (1.5- 4) Mbps
- FPS (frame per second) should be 25 or 30 for normal movements and 50 or 60 for fast movements (for better results)
As a side note, ViuLive supports SD (480p), HD (720p), and FHD (1080p) quality up to 5Mbps bandwidth/bitrate. Unfortunately, QHD(2k) and UHD(4k) are not supported and will be disconnected from our platform. We only support h.264 codec for RTMP protocol and broadcasting, so if you use another type of video compression technology or codec, you will lose most of the platforms and OS support for playback.
ViuLive is open for any kind of software like OBS or RTMP camera as long as it uses the standards mentioned above.
More details on this are such as:
- If you find any software config mentioned (keyframe interval or Iframe key), it is recommended to adjust it to 2 seconds for best results
- If you find a group of pictures (GOP) at the config, it is recommended to double the amount compared to frame per second (FPS) for best results. For example, if you use 30 FPS, GOP should be 60, equal to a multiple of 2 to fps. An example would be 30 fps = 60 GOP.
Notes & Tips for a Better Advanced RTMP Streaming
- Better inputs (high bitrate and stable connection) lead to high-quality outputs (Live and VOD)
- Wrong inputs (low bitrate and unstable connection) lead to low-quality results (Live and VOD)
- Landscape mode is always better for widescreen with a 16/9 aspect ratio. However, portrait mode with a 4/3 aspect ratio is acceptable.